What does it mean to have a basic wardrobe?
I like to think of a basic wardrobe as having very simple closet. What do you actually need in your closet?
A few weekends ago, I had the privilege of hosting a style event at my “vacation home” DressBarn. I gave free body shape analysis’, I helped the ladies in attendance shop for their body type, and show them what to do and what not to do with clothing.
The event was amazing and I was so happy that I could be a part of this day and all of the ladies in attendance were lovely.
One question that was asked during the style event was a question that not a lot of people think to ask: “What do you need to have in your closet?”
If you think about it, it is a great question! What do you need to have in your closet? Do you know the answer? I will tell you my answer: you can have whatever you want in your closet!
Obviously I cannot stop my blog there, that’s only 140 words! So let me tell you what a “basic wardrobe” consists of:
- 3 pairs of jeans…you do not wash your jeans after each wear (at least I hope you don’t…that can cause premature aging of the denim)
- 2 tops for each pair of jeans. You can certainly have more, but this gets you two tops that can easily go with at least 1 pair of jeans.
- 3 pairs of work pants in neural colors: black, grey, brown, blue, whatever your preference is. If you do not work in an office or business setting, then you may not need these.
- 2 tops for each pair of work pants. If you want to have more than that, then that is certainly up to you, but you do not want to be the person who wears the same shirt with the same pair of pants.
- 1 blazer. I prefer black with no colors, or textures on it, so I know it can be paired with black, or grey.
- 3 work appropriate dresses. They can be colorful or neutral, this will be dependent on your style and personal preference.
- 2 work skirts. If you would rather wear a dress, that is fine, however, I think that a skirt is a staple in every wardrobe.
- 2 shirts for each work skirt, this will help give you variety, and the look can be changed since you have a blazer that might go with the skirt!
Now, do most people have more items than that in their wardrobe? Absolutely..I have two closets full of clothes.
A basic wardrobe is how you start building your closet. Having quality neutral or general pieces will help you grow your basic wardrobe, into a closet that is full of items that you can chose from.
If you are not into clothing at all, then you may only need a basic wardrobe, 20 pieces that keep rotating; and that is not wrong either.
Your closet is your own. You make it your own with simple pieces, complex pieces, adding jewelry or any other accessories.
People do not need an extensive wardrobe (I do…but that’s besides the point!), when you have a solid foundation, adding pieces will only become easier.